False rape accusations are an anomaly.
True rape accusations are a norm.
You’re, quite literally, more likely to be killed by a comet than falsely accused of rape.
Re-blog now, read later.
"Because 1 in 33 men will be raped in his lifetime, men are 82,000x more likely to be raped than falsely accused of rape. It seems many of us would do well to pay more attention to how rape culture affects us all than be paranoid about false accusers.”
hey everyone the concept behind this post is very important but the execution is completely off and that’s mainly due to poor fact-checking and an absolute mangling of statistics
if you want a short version of the upcoming rant, it’s basically:
- many of these statistics are important - false rape reports are in fact around 2-8%, 1 in 33 men will be raped in his lifetime, and using false rape reports as a counterargument to feminism as a whole is still absolutely ridiculous.
- HOWEVER, the statistics in the above posts trivialize actual false rape reports because of some terrible analysis of statistics
- if you actually do the math, the chance of being falsely accused of rape as a “typical male living in the US” is actually about 2,500 times greater than in the article linked
- please always fact check anything important you reblog instead of blindly accepting it
- PLEASE NEVER LINK TO A BUZZFEED ARTICLE AS A RELIABLE SOURCE
sources and math in the read more